Saturday, April 21, 2012

Listen to the Mustn'ts



Did you ever read the book "Where the Sidewalk ends"?  Shel Silverstein had a way with words for sure, but more importantly he had a way with words that children could understand.  This book was the one book I enjoyed most in school.  I bet you I checked out "Where the Sidewalk ends" at least a hundred times at my school library.  I just loved this book!

One of my favorite poems in this book is Listen to the Mustn'ts. Many children are told early that there are things they can't do. As a child I had a understanding of the things that I shouldn't do, mustn't do and things that I couldn't do. Why do we teach children that they can't do thing? Why do we put that negative talk in their head?

I struggle with this because I know those "Mustn'ts, don'ts, shouldn'ts and can'ts" are things that have held me back in life.  I believed them at times which caused me to sit back and watch life pass me bye.  I have been able to silent those words and hear the little voice that screams "Can". 

As a teacher and a coach I never allow my students to use the words "I can't" because those words don't exist in my vocabulary anymore.  They shouldn't exist in yours either.  Just like Shel says "Anything can happen, child, anything can be." When you start seeing things happen in front of you, you no longer have to believe, you KNOW.  It is the fear that blocks the knowing, blocks the "I Can's" and blocks word of doing.

How can you not be inspired after reading Shel's poem?  He is saying anything and everything is possible.  Why is it that sometimes I forgot the message written so loudly? Why does the society allow children and adults to believe that only certain things are possible?  The little girl in me who loved those Shel's poems is now a grown adult...but that doesn't change how I feel about this book.  The words I read years ago are still alive in me today, I still believe that "Anything can happen, anything can be."

So I ask you this.. do you listen to the mustn'ts, dont's and shouldn'ts? Do you let your children say "I can't?" Let's change that negative talk into a positive one! Believe in Shel's words because "Anything can be."

No comments:

Post a Comment