Monday, September 3, 2012

The Happiness Project



Have you ever sat around and wished you could be happier? Have you ever said to yourself I wish I could paint, hike more, fish, remember to send out birthday cards, send thank you notes to friends, visit museums, breath and enjoy every day like it was your last? I always wish to do things but I never take that first step towards trying something new and out of the ordinary.  Sure I get it; I run races like it is no tomorrow but I don't do the other things in my life that I am passionate about.

So I decided to take this happiness project head on.  I am a very happy person but i am not an extraordinary happy person.  I don't want to be like anyone else, I want to be different, happier.  I have a house, a car, a career, an education, a loving dog, great family and awesome friends.  What else in the world do I need to make me happy? It is all about the list I always make but never do.  It is about the dream to take up photography, cake decorating, physical training and so many other things.  This project is just about me, being totally the person I want to be, a person I have longed to be for a very long time. 

So where did this idea come from?  My dear friend Alicia Wagner recently talked about a book called The Happiness Project.  Alicia is probably the most driven friend I have in my life.  She puts her goals first and always follows though with them.  She is what I would call extraordinary! So when she tells me I should pick up a book up, I listened!

The book so far is GREAT! I am on Chapter Two but I already started putting together my own happiness project.  For me the first month will be all about organization.  Cleaning out the things in my house that I don't use, need or want anymore.  Organizing my work life, personal life and goals.  I also am going to make to do list and actually follow them.  Organization always makes me happy and a clutter free zone also brings me great joy!

So the project starts tomorrow! First thing to tackle will be my bedroom.  Time to get rid of clothes and clean out everything under the bed.  Time to throw out the million and one shoes I never wear.  I can't wait to see what happens to this room of mine.  I also can't wait to take my bag full of clothes, books and who knows what else to Goodwill.  Next will be the kitchen, basement and lastly my garage.  

I decided to follow the books Commandments, so here they are!
1. Be Kathy
2. Let it go
3. Act the way I want to feel
4. Do it NOW
5. Be polite and fair
6. Enjoy the process
7. Spend Out
8. Identify the problem
9.  Lighten up
10. Do what ought to be done
11. No calculation
12. There is only love

Super excited to see if I can change my happy life, into an extraordinary happy life :)
I suggest you read the book and join me on the ride!

1 comment:

  1. You go girl! I read the book and LOVED it! You are gonna rock your happiness project. I am lookfing forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete