Sunday, July 8, 2012

Sunday Food Prep

 
 

Source: lifehacker.com via Deb on Pinterest


My bet most of you don't food prep? My question to you would be why not? I bet you prep for many things in your life.  You probably prep for an arrival of a new baby, new job, vacations and parties.  You do this because you want those events to be successful and you want no room for something to go wrong. So why don't you food prep?

If you fail to food prep, you are most likely not having the best food choices during the week.  I know, I know some of you don't have to food prep to have success in the kitchen.  If you are like me food prep is the path that keeps you on the right journey towards a healthy lifestyle.

Preparation is KEY and it is the secret to losing weight. 





This is how my Sunday's normally look like.

Break down the menu's.

I always make a grocery list a few day's before Sunday's.  This is a huge part of the puzzle for me.  If I don't make a list I am throwing crap in my cart I don't need or better yet forgetting the important things I do need.  A list will save you time and will take out the guessing of what you should prepare.  I always double check to see if I have items on the list before I head out.  Who needs 4 jars of peanut butter? I mean I do LOVE peanut butter but I will never eat four jars in a week.  This will help you save money so make sure you are not buying double of something you already have.

Head to the Store.

I always go to the Grocery store super early or a time no one is there.  I can't stand waiting around for meats or items I need because the rest of the world is trying to get the same thing.  If you are like me and don't like waiting go EARLY! I always bring a pen to check off the items I got...another important part.  Who wants to go home and start cooking to realize they forgot the bacon? Not me!

Bring coupons! If you make your list early you will probably have time to find coupons.  I am afraid that I never use them.  Most of the foods I buy never have coupons but if you like coupon hunting this would be ideal!

Time to Cook

I NEVER put the food away.  I lay everything out on the counter and start the chopping, cooking and bagging.  Why? If I put everything away I normally will find something else to do....which means I will fail on food prep and will fail probably Monday.  So make a good 3 hour block to do all food preparation if you need to do in together.

I look at my list of recipes and start with the meats first or whatever will take the longest.  Today I started the sweet potatoes and quinoa.  While they were cooking away I was mixing up the items for spinach burgers and the quinoa apple salad.  I never do just one meal at a time.  I have my recipe list out and am normally cooking up 2-3 meals.  This makes the time go faster!!! 

I also cut up my veggies and my fruits.  Since I take Shakeology every day (normally lunch), I put all the fruits and items I need in a baggy and toss it into the freezer.  I like my shakes cold and if the fruit is frozen it makes for a better shake! This also saves me time!!! I just grab a bag, mix the shake and head out the door.  All in less than 3 minutes.

Now time to relax.

Once everything is put away and in the containers.  I sit and relax! I have my food ready for the week and workouts planned.  I know that I will not fail because everything is ready for me at home.  Does this mean I don't stray off my menu? I do sometimes but I normally go for a good subway sub! :)

Give Food Prep a try! It is wonderful.  It saves you time and I am 100% sure you will make better choices.  If you need help with food prep let me know.  This is probably one of my favorite parts of the week.

My grocery list this week..

Fruits-5 Granny Smith Apples, 3 peaches, 3 pears, strawberries and blue berries. 6 Grapefruit
Veggies-Raw Spinach, frozen spinach, Asparagus, Zucchini, Tomatoes, Sweet Tomatoes, Avocado, Cucumbers and Corn on the cob
Dairy-Greek Yogurt, Soy Milk, Cheese and Egg Whites
Other items-Thin Sandwich buns, Almonds, Pretzels, Hot Sauce, popcorn, Quinoa, Luna Bars

Total Price for all this wonderful food:  $110.00

I know that is a lot of money for one person but I eat a lot because I workout a lot.  I can eat a lot because I am eating healthy stuff.  If you look on my list the only unhealthy thing is maybe the popcorn and the Luna bars.  I have to remember a bag of 95% fat free popcorn will not kill me, nor will a Luna Bar.

Keep it simple, plan and prepare!! I promise you this will make a HUGE difference in your journey!!! It has mine! :) 

1 comment:

  1. I love this blogpost! I have been thinking about the things that I struggle with the most right now and one of them is my diet...not that I am eating too many calories but that what I am eating is not as clean as it could be! I told my husband that I was going to take Saturday mornings to prep my meals for the week so I don't have a reason to eat non nutritional meals! Thanks for the advice!

    ReplyDelete