Thursday, June 21, 2012

Tough Mudder Mad

                                                             

I have to shake my head in disbelieve that I have completed four tough mudders events this year.  Each time I do this race I discover something new about myself, something I would have never discover if I wasn't pushing myself beyond my own personal limits.  This race is for sure one of the hardest, craziest and best things I have ever done in my life.  I wouldn't trade the bruises, the training or the tears for anything less crazy.  I have met some of the most amazing people during these events, people that I am glad to call my friends. 

June 18, 2012 
Tough Mudder Indiana/Chicago 
Weather: HOT and storming by the end


It has almost been a week since I have completed the Indiana Mudder and I have had a writers block ever since.  I am highly discouraged because usually words come very easy for me.  I may not be able to write them well or have the best grammar.  But what I do have is heart and passion that I am able display in my post.  So why am I lost for words on this event I love so much?  Maybe because this event doesn't scare me anymore and I know I can complete it.  It might be because I am battling some things on a personal level that I just don't have it in me to write.

What I do know is that this race has made me a better person.  Being amongst complete strangers and all wanting to accomplish the same thing is a great feeling.  Most of those strangers would hurt themselves to get you over a wall, over logs and help you up a skater pike.  They rather walk with you and enjoy the race together, instead of running their hardest to get a great time.  I am telling you it is simply amazing. 

So the question that I ask myself is why can't that happen in real life? Why can't we be more kind to the people we don't know? Why can't we reach out our hand when we see others in need?  I know I am completely guilty of looking away when I knew that someone was in need.  Maybe that is why I am in such a writers block on the event because that kind of joy, kindness and love goes away so fast.

I don't know how to fix it.  I don't know how to make the world work the same way a tough mudder does.  I just know that if the world did work like a mudder this world would be AMAZING.  We would all be friends, brothers and sisters.  So I am sorry that this blog isn't about me getting shocked or me jumping into ice cold water.  This race for me this time round wasn't a reflection on how well I did or what fear I overcome. It really is about how ugly the world really is on the outside of the mud walls.

I think if you look at the picture with some of teammates and I with the flag you will understand what this race really is about.  It is about courage, friendships, faith, pride, accomplishment, joy, determination, achievement and loyalty.  I am 100% sure that real warriors/soldiers act just the way mudders act during race day.

So to all of you that are on the fence about this race, I would tell you to do it.  Do it because you want to feel how great the world can be for just a few hours, do it because you want to feel like you can conquer the world, do it because you want to be amazing, do it because you want to change you for the better.  If running a mudder isn't for you....go and be a fan! I bet you anything it has the same effect!

Be the change people!


No comments:

Post a Comment